Recipe by Nyonya Kecil
This mild Indonesian chicken curry usually served for special occasions such as Hari Raya Lebaran ( moslem's celebration after Ramadhan ) .
- 1 kg chicken piece
- 8 hard-boiled eggs (optional)
- 1 lime, juice only
- 1 liter water
- 400 ml coconut cream
- 2 stalks lemongrass, bruised
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 teaspoon white pepper, toasted
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds, toasted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed, toasted
- 3 candle nuts (macadamia can be a good substitute )
- 10 shallots
- 5 garlic
- 2 inches ginger
- 2 inches galangal
- 1 inch turmeric, roasted
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste )
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil, for stir frying
Directions See How It's Made
- Rub the chicken pieces with lime juice , set aside .
- Put all the toasted spices , shallots , garlic, galangal , ginger , turmeric, candle nuts in a food processor and blend into paste . You may add a little water or cooking oil to get that smooth paste .
- Mix the water and the coconut cream in a large sauce pan . Cook it in a low heat . Add the lemon grass , kaffir lime leaves and bay leaves in it .
- Meanwhile , heat a little oil in a wok . When it's hot stir fry the spice paste until you can smell the beautiful aroma comes out of it . Then add the chicken pieces and continue to stir until the chicken are coated with spice .
- When the meat is sealed and the coconut milk sauce start to warm up , add the chicken pieces . Turn the heat up and bring it to boil .
- Lower the heat and simmer for about 30 minute ( or until the chicken are cooked ).
- Add the hard boiled eggs ( if using ) in the last 10 minutes of cooking time .
- Garnish with deep fried shallots and serve hot with steamed rice or rice cake .