Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I created this recipe over time in homage to the original from Opie's BBQ in Spicewood, TX. Some things to note: Ore-Ida tater tots have lots of salt and seasoning; typically off-brand do not. I would probably add over a tsp for off-brand tots.
- 1 (2 lb) bagore-ida frozen tater tots
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans reduced-fat cream of chicken soup
- 1 (8 ounce) low-fat sour cream
- 1 (16 ounce) package low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (8 ounce) package colby cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (6 ounce) container French-fried onions
- Mix everything but the Colby cheese and french's onions in a large bowl (make sure tots are still frozen so they don't break apart).
- Scoop mixture into one 9x13 pan.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for one hour.
- Top with Colby cheese and then French's onions and bake for another 5-10 minutes until onions are golden brown.
Simple to throw together! Here's my personalized take on the recipe. I added sliced sauted mushrooms, chopped and sauted red peppers, and diced caramelized onions. For the soup I used cream of mushroom and added some seasoning salt for flavor and spice. This casserole is easy to adjust to suit your own tastes. Thanks for posting!
This is a GREAT dish. I did add some ground beef to the recipe though. My kids actuall asked for seconds and tha's rare.
This was delicious! So easy to make. Took this to a pot luck and there were NO leftovers. It is quite cheesy and probably not something you should have often because of the calories but definitely worth making again. Thanks for the wonderful recipe!