Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
May be chilled in freezer before dipping. This will take between 30 and 40 minutes.
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 lb dipping chocolate
- Combine sugar, cream, and cream of tartar in a 3-qt.
- heavy saucepan.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves.
- Cook to 236°F.
- Watch carefully to avoid boiling over.
- If sugar crystals form on the side of pan, wipe them off.
- (To prevent this problem, place the lid on just as candies start to boil, for 1 minute. This washes the crystals down automatically.) Pour out onto marble slab (do not scrape pan).
- Let stand until lukewarm, about 5-10 min.
- Work like fondant, until creamy& light in color.
- Add vanilla and work into mix.
- Shape in pieces as desired.
- Dip in melted chocolate.