Prep 0 mins
Cook 55 mins
I came up with this recipe after reading about some different brines and basting liquids for turkey breast. The brine in this recipe makes the chicken super tender and the sesame oil mixture gives the meat and vegetables an absolutely mouthwatering flavor! It's amazing the flavor that the chicken, potatoes, onions and broccoli are able to absorb. The star of this dish may be the broccoli, though, which roasts just beautifully.
- 2 chicken breasts, with bones and skin
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup salt
- 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 3 large potatoes, cubed
- 1 cup broccoli floret
- 1 cup yellow onion, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup sesame oil
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Dissolve brown sugar and salt into the water by heating. Cool water down to room temperature and add chicken, let brine for at least 2 hours in the fridge.
- Whisk together sesame oil, soy sauce, honey, lime juice and garlic.
- Remove chicken from the brine and shake off excess moisture. Dip chicken breasts into the sesame oil mixture and set aside.
- Add potatoes, broccoli and onion to the sesame mixture and coat thoroughly. Pour all into a casserole dish and top with chicken. Pour any extra sesame mixture over the top of the chicken.
- Cover with foil and bake 40 minutes.
- Remove foil, baste if desired. There will be excess moisture in the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Lower heat to 350 degrees and bake 10-15 minutes more, or until the skin of the chicken is crispy.
- Plate the meat and veggies and pour juices from the bottom of the casserole dish on top.