Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
An adopted recipe. This is a bit like a "stroganoff pizza." :) Based on a Taste of Home recipe. Needs a bit of editing...
- 1 loaf unsliced French bread
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef or 1 1⁄2 lbs ground buffalo meat
- 2 tablespoons grated onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated medium sharp cheddar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt & pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped (can substitute red, yellow, or orange if you don't like the green)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Slice the bread in half lengthwise, then lightly butter the bread and wrap in foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes.
- Brown the ground beef and drain the excess fat.
- Add the onion, and cook until the onion is transparent.
- Remove from the heat and add the sour cream, worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
- Remove the bread from the oven and spread the meat mixture on each half.
- Arrange the chopped tomatoes and chopped bell pepper on top of the meat mixture and top with the grated cheese.
- Place back in the oven and bake only until the cheese is melted.
- Serve hot.
- Note: sauteed sliced mushrooms would also be good in this!
I had made the Taste of Home recipe years ago but could not find my recipe so I tried out this recipe. My husband and I found this recipe to be quite bland. I should have looked further because the TOH recipe is here. I think your recipe really needs more onion, salt, pepper, and the garlic powder.
I made this with sub rolls instead of french bread, since they fit my toaster oven better and my regular oven is currently only good for setting of the smoke alarm. It also made it easier to vary toppings for each of us. DH liked cheddar and mushrooms on his sandwich while I preferred provolone and tomatoes. I did add the onions while still browning the beef instead of doing it in two steps, but I don't think it changed the outcome. Also, I would recommend buttering the bread very lightly as the butter, sour cream and cheese can combine for a rich sandwich!