Recipe by Julesong
An adopted recipe. This is a bit like a "stroganoff pizza." :) Based on a Taste of Home recipe. Needs a bit of editing...
Top Review by jankasprzak
I had made the Taste of Home recipe years ago but could not find my recipe so I tried out this recipe. My husband and I found this recipe to be quite bland. I should have looked further because the TOH recipe is here. I think your recipe really needs more onion, salt, pepper, and the garlic powder.
- 1 loaf unsliced French bread
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef or 1 1⁄2 lbs ground buffalo meat
- 2 tablespoons grated onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated medium sharp cheddar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt & pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped (can substitute red, yellow, or orange if you don't like the green)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Slice the bread in half lengthwise, then lightly butter the bread and wrap in foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes.
- Brown the ground beef and drain the excess fat.
- Add the onion, and cook until the onion is transparent.
- Remove from the heat and add the sour cream, worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
- Remove the bread from the oven and spread the meat mixture on each half.
- Arrange the chopped tomatoes and chopped bell pepper on top of the meat mixture and top with the grated cheese.
- Place back in the oven and bake only until the cheese is melted.
- Serve hot.
- Note: sauteed sliced mushrooms would also be good in this!