This is an easy, healthy dish---a perfect recipe for those who have never used tempeh and are looking for tasty ways to be healthy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a microwavable bowl, combine the tempeh, onions, and green peppers. Add about 1/4 - 1/2 of a cup of warm water. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave until the tempeh and veggies are soft - about 2 1/2 minutes (There shouldn't be much liquid at this point; if the mixture is water-logged, drain it and continue.).
- 2Add enough of the barbecue sauce to the bowl so that the mixture, as you stir it up, has the consistancy of a "normal" sloggy joe. (You can also add a little garlic powder or mustard or even ketchup if you like.).
- 3Toast the bread slices. Place them on a baking sheet. Slaver each slice with mustard and then add the sloppy joe mixture. Top with cheese, if using.
- 4Broil the sandwich over high heat until the cheese melts.
- 5Remove the sandwiches from the oven and place each on a plate. Add the coleslaw on top. Serve with fork and knife (and napkins :).
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Open-Faced Sloppy Tempeh Sandwich
Serving Size: 1 (177 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 216.5
- Calories from Fat 63
- Total Fat 7.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 4.8 mg
- Sodium 223.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 11.1 g