Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is an easy, healthy dish---a perfect recipe for those who have never used tempeh and are looking for tasty ways to be healthy.
- In a microwavable bowl, combine the tempeh, onions, and green peppers. Add about 1/4 - 1/2 of a cup of warm water. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave until the tempeh and veggies are soft - about 2 1/2 minutes (There shouldn't be much liquid at this point; if the mixture is water-logged, drain it and continue.).
- Add enough of the barbecue sauce to the bowl so that the mixture, as you stir it up, has the consistancy of a "normal" sloggy joe. (You can also add a little garlic powder or mustard or even ketchup if you like.).
- Toast the bread slices. Place them on a baking sheet. Slaver each slice with mustard and then add the sloppy joe mixture. Top with cheese, if using.
- Broil the sandwich over high heat until the cheese melts.
- Remove the sandwiches from the oven and place each on a plate. Add the coleslaw on top. Serve with fork and knife (and napkins :).