Recipe by Irmgard
I found this recipe in a back issue of Canadian Living. The original recipe calls for white bread but I substituted whole wheat Texas toast for nutrition reasons. Terrific served with black bean soup.
- 1 mild Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 sweet green pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 slices Texas toast thick bread
- 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup salsa
Directions See How It's Made
- Crumble the sausage meat into a large, nonstick skillet, breaking up with the back of a spoon.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, for about 4 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Drain off any fat.
- Add the onion, green pepper, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until the onion is softened.
- Add the eggs and parsley.
- Cook, stirring, for about 4 minutes or until thickened and moist but no liquid remains.
- Meanwhile, toast the bread.
- Top with the egg mixture.
- Sprinkle with the cheese and top with salsa.