Recipe by Manami
Absolutely wonderful! We served it on toasted seedless rye and it was great for the arugula and for the cheese to start to melt and then with the egg on it, really great! Scrumptious! Cooking Light Magazine, May 2010 publication.;)
Top Review by Dulcet Kitchen
Very tasty--I spiced the heck out of the ricotta (added a bunch of fresh basil, some crushed red pepper, garlic powder, and oregano) and I also substituted the arugula for braised tuscano kale. A bit hit at my house.
- 4 slices whole-wheat country bread (2 oz. each) or 4 slices baguette (2 oz each) or 4 slices sub rolls (hogie, 2 oz each) or 4 slices rye bread (2 oz each)
- cooking spray
- 2 cups arugula (spinned dry)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided (optional, or use less)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated fresh parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat broiler.
- Coat both sides of bread with cooking spray; broil 2 minutes on each side or until lightly toasted.
- Combine arugula, 2 teaspoons oil, juice, 1/8 teaspoon salt (if using), 1/4 teaspoon pepper; toss gently & pinch of crushed red pepper flakes.
- Heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Crack eggs into pan; cook 2 minutes.
- Cover and cook an additional 2 minutes or until whites are set.
- Remove from heat.
- Combine 1/4 teaspoon salt, ricotta, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and thyme; spread over bread slices.
- Divide salad and eggs evenly over bread.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper.