The amounts listed are only a guideline you may adjust to taste, make certain that the cheese is always on the top, this is a great way to use up cooked roast beef or deli roast beef --- FOR PARTY APPETIZERS instead of using buns replace with small party size pumpernickle bread slices that have been toasted, follow as directed only using smaller amounts.
- 2 hoagie rolls, sliced and toasted
- 8 teaspoons mayonnaise (use about 2 teaspoons per slice (or more)
- 4 -8 teaspoons coarse ground mustard (use about 1-2 teaspoons per slice or to taste)
- 1 lb thinly sliced cooked beef
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- thinly sliced red onion (use as much as desired)
- 4 -8 slices mozzarella cheese or 4 -8 slices provolone cheese
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Set oven to broiler heat.
- Place the toasted bun halves on a baking sheet.
- Lightly spread with mayonnaise then mustard.
- Layer as follows starting with roast beef then sliced tomato, red onion, salt, pepper the sliced cheese on top.
- Broil 3-6 inches from the heat for about 2-4 minutes or until the cheese has melted and is lightly browned (keep an eye on it this will brown fast).
What a great easy work night meal! It tasted so yummy and only took minutes to make! Thanks for the great idea!
Really outstanding. Lots of rich flavor without all of that fat filled gravy. The onion and tomato add a clean freshness and using low fat cheese allows for 2 or 3 extra slices of lean roast beef. I have loved the grainy mustard for a long time and it's a natural in this sandwich. :D