1/1 Photo of Open-Faced Reuben
Really the amounts are only a guideline, you may use as much as desired, my family loves them piled high, amounts are for one sandwich --- if desired you could toast 2 slices of bread and make it into a sandwich, use the largest slice of pumpernickle for this! --- see my Kittencal's Thousand Island Dressing
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 slice dark rye pumpernickel bread
- 1 tablespoon soft butter
- 1/4 lb shaved pastrami or 1/4 lb corned beef
- 2 -3 ounces sauerkraut, drained
- thousand island dressing (use any amount desired) or Russian salad dressing (use any amount desired)
- 2 slices swiss cheese (can use mozzarealla but Swiss is better)
- 1Toast the bread in a toaster until lightly golden brown, then spread butter over one side.
- 2Pile the meat on top of the bread, then the sauerkraut on top of the meat.
- 3Drizzle the dressing generously over the sauerkraut allowing some to spill over the sides of the sandwich.
- 4Place the cheese slices completely over the top (the cheese should melt over the sides of the sandwich).
- 5Set oven to broiler heat.
- 6Broil for about 2-4 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- 7Serve warm with more dressing if desired.
- 8Serve sandwich on a plate with knife and fork.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Open-Faced Reuben
Serving Size: 1 (304 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 569.4
- Calories from Fat 312
- Total Fat 34.6 g
- Saturated Fat 20.4 g
- Cholesterol 158.2 mg
- Sodium 1789.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 42.9 g