Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Really the amounts are only a guideline, you may use as much as desired, my family loves them piled high, amounts are for one sandwich --- if desired you could toast 2 slices of bread and make it into a sandwich, use the largest slice of pumpernickle for this! --- see my Kittencal's Thousand Island Dressing
- 1 slice dark rye pumpernickel bread
- 1 tablespoon soft butter
- 1⁄4 lb shaved pastrami or 1⁄4 lb corned beef
- 2 -3 ounces sauerkraut, drained
- thousand island dressing (use any amount desired) or Russian salad dressing (use any amount desired)
- 2 slices swiss cheese (can use mozzarealla but Swiss is better)
Directions See How It's Made
- Toast the bread in a toaster until lightly golden brown, then spread butter over one side.
- Pile the meat on top of the bread, then the sauerkraut on top of the meat.
- Drizzle the dressing generously over the sauerkraut allowing some to spill over the sides of the sandwich.
- Place the cheese slices completely over the top (the cheese should melt over the sides of the sandwich).
- Set oven to broiler heat.
- Broil for about 2-4 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Serve warm with more dressing if desired.
- Serve sandwich on a plate with knife and fork.