Recipe by Mrs. Doeinck
This is a healthier version of a classic favorite! I usually have leftover meatballs. You can freeze them for later or save them in the fridge and use with pasta later in the week!
- 1⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 1⁄2 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash salt
- 1 1⁄4 lbs lean ground turkey
- 2 cups garden style pasta sauce (paul newmans sockarooni works great)
- 4 submarine buns or 4 hoagie rolls
- 2 tablespoons shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- shredded parmesan cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine first 9 ingredients. Crumble Turkey over mixture;mix well.
- Shape into meatballs 1 inch each.
- In a large skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, brown meatballs in batches if necessary. Drain.
- Place meatballs in a large saucepan.
- Add the pasta sauce;bring to a boil. Reduce heat;cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.
- Spoon meatballs and sauce onto buns;sprinkle with cheese.