Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 2 lbs new potatoes (or baby Yukon gold potatoes)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 slices ready crisp bacon, crisped in the microwave according to package directions and chopped
- milk or chicken broth
Warm Apple-Cranberry Sauce
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 (14 ounce) can whole berry cranberry sauce
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb maple sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 cup chicken broth
Gravy and Turkey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups turkey broth
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs turkey breast, at room temperature (rotisserie turkey breast or thick cut deli turkey)
- 4 slices whole grain bread
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Work on the potatoes: cut larger potatoes in half, leave smaller ones whole.
- Place potatoes in a medium pot; cover with water and place over high heat with lid on pan.
- When water boils, add salt; cook potatoes with lid off 10-11 minutes until tender.
- To make the apple sauce: place a second medium pot over low heat; add applesauce and cranberry sauce; stir to combine and gently heat through, 10 minutes.
- To make the stuffing: toast bread and butter heavily (1/2 tablespoon per slice); chop into small cubes and reserve.
- Put a medium skillet over medium-high heat; when hot, add olive oil and sausage; brown and crumble sausage with a wooden spoon; add in onions and celery; season with poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper; cook 5 minutes.
- Add in bread and stir to combine; dampen the stuffing with chicken broth and turn to combine.
- Turn off heat and cover pan loosely with foil.
- Back to the potatoes: drain cooked potatoes and return to hot pot; smash with sour cream, butter, and bacon; season with salt and pepper (if they are too thick, thin them out with a splash of milk or broth).
- Make the gravy: preheat a medium skillet over medium heat; add in 2 tablespoons butter and let it melt; whisk in flour; cook 1 minute.
- Whisk in 2 cups broth; add a pinch of salt and pepper; allow gravy to thicken slightly.
- Cut rotisserie meat away from the bones of turkey breast; if you are using deli turkey, remove from packaging and separate slices.
- Set turkey in gravy and turn to coat.
- Assemble sammies: place a bread slice on each dinner plate.
- Top with a slice of turkey; use a large ice cream scoop to place a mound of stuffing on the turkey.
- Place another turkey slice on top of stuffing.
- Serve the smashed potatoes and cranberry sauce on the side.
- Spoon hot extra gravy over potatoes and turkey sandwiches.
- Sprinkle plates with chopped parsley and serve.