Recipe by Lainey39
Italian bread has a dense texture so it should work well for these hot broiled sandwiches. You can use any melted cheese for these sandwiches, such as American, mozzarella or Gouda.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 small onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1⁄2 cup creamy Italian dressing
- 1 loaf Italian bread, halved lengthwise (12 inches long)
- 4 slices provolone cheese, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- In large skillet, cook ground beef, bell peppers and onion over medium-high heat, 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is thoroughly cooked; drain.
- Stir in 1/4 cup of the dressing.
- Spread remaining 1/4 cup dressing on cut sides of bread.
- Place both halves, cut sides up, on ungreased large cookie sheet.
- Broil 4-6 inches from heat 3-5 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- Remove bread from broiler.
- Spread beef mixture on cut halves of bread.
- Top with cheese.
- Return to broiler, broil 4-6 inches from heat 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Cut each half into 2 pieces.