Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
I love Egg McMuffins from McDonald's (besides their milkshakes, they are one of the only other things I eat there). This version is quick and a little better for you (I think). You can alter the recipe a bit, if you'd like, and just use one egg, 1/2 a slice of cheese, and one piece of ham, and put the other half of the english muffin on top, like a sandwich (but then it's not open-faced, and it'd defeat the purpose of this recipe. :) ). I make this when I have an Egg McMuffin craving or when it's a late breakfast and I'm SUPER hungry, because it's very filling.
- Split the english muffin with a fork, and toast it. When it's toasted, set open-faced on a plate, and put one slice of deli ham on each English muffin side.
- Heat a small nonstick pan on medium-high heat, and break both eggs into it, being careful not to break the yolk.
- When the white is firm enough, "separate" the egg whites from each other (because they've probably cooked their whites together) with a silicone spatula, and flip each egg over. Try to make them about the size of the english muffin, if you can.
- While the eggs are cooking, divide your slice of cheese in half, and arrange half a piece on each piece of ham. You might need to arrange it more to make it fit (the egg will melt the cheese).
- When the egg yolks are done to your liking, take the eggs and put one on each side.
- Tip: I eat these by holding the English muffin with my hand shaped like a "C" around the base and sometimes I have to hold the egg on when I bite into it with my index finger, so I recommend cooking the yolks all the way, unless you want juicy yolk all over the place!
I've always liked the McMuffin sandwich and never thought of making it at home. I sprayed a ramikin with non-stick spray, poured the egg in and cooked it in the microwave for one minute, just to make it look round like the McDonald's one, lol. Turned out lovely ;) Thanks for sharing.