Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a really quick to fix appetizer for drop in guests or to take to potlucks! My kids love these so I always keep some made up in the fridge for a quick snack.
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 package dried Italian salad dressing mix
- 1 package rye cocktail bread
- 1 -2 medium cucumber, cut into 1/8 inch slices
- paprika (optional)
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and salad dressing mix until combined.
- Spread cream cheese mixture over cocktail bread slices Top each slice with a slice of cucumber.
- Sprinkle with paprika (optional).
Our family has enjoyed a couple of variations of this delicious summer appitizer. It can be made with refrigerated Pillsbury French Bread Dough, baked according to directions, cooled completely,and sliced into 1/4 inch pieces. We have used dried dill weed to sprinkle on top instead of the paprika. I prefer the spread to be not so firm, so I add 2T of mayonnaise to the mixture. This makes it more like a dip consistency, but it is easier to spread over soft bread.
Ditto to Sherry's comments, I too love this recipe, but I do prefer it with dill. The dill/cucumber combo is just right. A tiny splash of lemon juice doesn't hurt either.
I have been making these for 10 years. They are easy to make, refreshing and always a big hit.