Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Cooking Light October 2008. This recipe calls for Texas toast. A 1.4 ounce slice of Italian or French bread may be substituted.
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons prepared horseradish, drained
- 2 tablespoons light sour cream
- 2 tablespoons creme fraiche
- cooking spray
- 3 1⁄2 cups onions, vertically sliced (about 2 large)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 lb flank steak, trimmed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 cups arugula, trimmed
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 4 slices Texas toast thick bread, lightly toasted (1 1/2 ounce slice)
- To prepare cream, combine horseradish, sour cream, and creme fraiche in a small bowl; cover and chill.
- Preheat broiler.
- To prepare sandwich, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion and 1/8 tsp salt to pan; cover and cook 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Uncover and cook 10 minutes or until onion is golden brown.
- Sprinkle steak with 1/8 tsp salt and pepper. Place steak on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray; broil 5 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut steak diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Combine steak and remaining 1/4 tsp salt in a bowl, and toss to coat.
- Combine arugula, oil, and vinegar in a medium bowl; toss gently. Spread 2 tablespoons horseradish cream over each bread slice; top each with about 1/3 cup onion, 1/2 cup arugula mixture, and 3 ounces of steak.