Recipe by Derf
This is my favourite! From B H & G.
Top Review by yogi
Delicious sandwich!!! The basil and tomato really give it all a great, fresh flavor. Nice and easy to put together. I used 2 pieces of ciabatta bread about 5"x3" each and topped them with all the mushrooms and tomato (and ate the whole thing myself!) I think using a good tomato and FRESH basil is a must in this recipe. I didn't use any parmesan, though next time I may sprinkle with a bit of crushed red pepper... only because I need my spice "fix". LOL!
- 1 medium tomatoes, chopped, about 2/3 cup
- 9.85 ml snipped fresh basil
- 0.59 ml salt
- 2 medium fresh portabella mushrooms, each about 4 inches in diameter
- 4.92 ml balsamic vinegar or 4.92 ml red wine vinegar
- 2.46 ml olive oil
- 1 loaf focaccia bread, quartered or 1 Italian bread, such as boboli brand
- finely shredded parmesan cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat broiler.
- Combine tomato, basil and salt in a small bowl,set aside.
- Clean mushrooms, cut off stems even with caps.
- Discard stems.
- Combine vinegar and oil, gently brush mixture over the mushrooms.
- Place mushrooms on the unheated rack of the broiler pan.
- Broil mushroom 4 to 5 inches from the heat for 6 to 8 minutes or just till tender, turning once.
- Drain mushrooms on paper towels.
- Thinly slice mushrooms.
- Place bread on a baking sheet.
- Place under broiler for 2 to 3 minutes or till bread is heated through.
- To serve, top toasted bread with mushrooms slices and tomato mixture.
- If desired, top with cheese.