1/1 Photo of Open Face Ny Strip Philly Cheese Steaks
1 hr 45 mins
From Food Network Specials, this is special with a cheese sauce you have to taste! This makes wonderful hors d'ouevres for a party!
My Private Note
hors d' ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 baguette, about 2 feet long, throw thin ends away
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus
- extra extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, diced small
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced finely
- 1 (1 lb) New York strip steak, steak 1-inch thick
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon drained prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- fresh ground white pepper
- 1 pinch freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 cup grated yellow cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2Slice the baguette into 1/4-inch thick rounds, drizzle with oil, season with salt and pepper. Spread on a baking sheet, and bake until crisp and lightly golden, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a rack and cool in a single layer.
- 3Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and peppers and cook, stirring often, until onions are golden brown and peppers are tender.
- 4Season steak with salt and pepper. In another large skillet, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add steak and cook about 6 minutes per side, or until a meat thermometer registers 120 degrees F. Set aside to cool. Slice the steak "paper thin" (a slicer is great for this). Keep warm until ready to assemble.
- 5To assemble:
- 6Lay a slice of meat on each slice of baguette toast and top with 1 teaspoon of caramelized onions and peppers and a drizzle of the cheese sauce. Serve. Enjoy!
- 7Cheese Sauce:.
- 8Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour with a wooden spoon and cook stirring constantly in a figure 8, until pale yellow, about 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the milk and bring to a boil. Add the mustard, horseradish, salt, paprika, cayenne, white pepper, and nutmeg. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the cheeses. Set aside and keep warm.
- 9Yield: about 2 cups.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Open Face Ny Strip Philly Cheese Steaks
Serving Size: 1 (2424 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 95.3
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 10.5 mg
- Sodium 141.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 4.4 g