Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
From NYTimes.com. Originally published with FOOD; FOR THE BAKER, RIPE, FRESH FRUIT COMES TO THE FORE By FLORENCE FABRICANT, August 31, 1986
- 10 tablespoons sweet butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup light-brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Italian plums, pitted and sliced
- confectioners' sugar
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream, whipped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a nine-inch spring form pan.
- Cream eight tablespoons of the butter with three-fourths cup of the sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and beat well.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together. Add to batter, stirring lightly, and stir in vanilla.
- Spread batter in prepared pan and arrange sliced plums on top. Sprinkle with remaining sugar and dot with remaining butter.
- Bake one hour. Cool slightly before removing sides of pan. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Serve warm or cool with whipped cream. YIELD 6 to 8 servings.