Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
Recipe courtesy of Bon Appetit, August 2007.
- olive oil (for brushing)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1⁄4 cups chopped fresh basil, plus
- 8 large basil leaves, divided
- 3 tablespoons chopped drained cornichons (or 3 tablespoons dill pickle plus 1 1/2 tablespoons brine from jars)
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground chicken
- 4 pieces bread (thick slices of country white bread)
- 4 slices tomatoes (large red or orange heirloom tomato)
- Brush grill with oil; prepare barbecue (medium heat).
- Mix mayonnaise, 1 cup chopped basil, cornichons (dill pickle), brine, and onions in small bowl.
- Season basil mayonnaise with salt and pepper.
- Mix chicken and 1/2 cup basil mayonnaise in large bowl.
- Using wet hands, shape chicken mixture into four 1/2-inch-thick patties.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Brush bread with oil.
- Grill bread until crisp and golden, about 1 minute per side.
- Transfer bread to plates.
- Grill burgers until firm to touch and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.
- Spread bread slices thickly with basil mayonnaise.
- Top each bread slice with tomato, 2 basil leaves, burger, and dollop of basil mayonnaise.
- Garnish with remaining chopped basil.