Prep 8 mins
Cook 20 mins
Source: Better Homes & Garden
- 8 ounces asparagus, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 4 small boneless skinless chicken breast halves (1 to 1-1/4 lb. total)
- 4 portabella mushroom caps (4-inch caps with stems removed)
- 8 slices country Italian bread (1/2-inch thick)
- 1 (8 ounce) container chive & onion cream cheese
- Tear off a 36 x 18-inch piece of heavy-duty foil; fold in half to make an 18-inch square.
- Place asparagus in center of foil; drizzle with 1 teaspoon of the oil and sprinkle lightly with salt and coarsely ground pepper.
- Bring up opposite edges of foil and seal with a double fold.
- Fold remaining edges to completely enclose asparagus, leaving space for steam to escape; set aside.
- Brush chicken and mushrooms with remaining oil; sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- For a charcoal grill, place chicken, mushrooms, and foil packet with asparagus on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals.
- Grill for 12 to 15 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and an instant-read thermometer inserted in chicken registers 170-176F, turning chicken and mushrooms once (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place chicken, mushrooms, and foil packet on grill rack over heat. Cover; grill as above.).
- Remove chicken, mushrooms, and foil packet from grill; slice mushrooms.
- Toast bread slices on grill rack for 1 to 2 minutes, turning once; spread one side of each with cream cheese.
- On serving plates stack half of the bread slices, spread side up, chicken, remaining bread, mushrooms and asparagus.