1/18 Photos of Opal's Pumpkin Pie
1 hr 15 mins
This recipe makes 2- 9" pies. If you make one large pie instead you will have to add time to the baking to get it done. This recipe was given to me by Opal Beebee, several years ago. This is a handed down family recipe. It was once prepared in the White House for one of the former Presidents. Opal's daughter had served in the National Guard and had met a Pastry Chef who later worked at the White House and called Opal to ask for the recipe for Thanksgiving Dinner at the White House. Do not eliminate the heavy cream IN the pie...the cream and the amount of spices listed is what makes this pie so special. It is good hot or cold. I never tasted hot pumpkin pie until I tasted this one. I found out this past Christmas (2009) that this bakes well without a crust as well. I had to make 3 pumpkin pies to take to my son's home. I had enough mixture left over make another pie but not enough pie dough for a 4th pie. So I spray oiled a round casserole dish, filled with mixture and baked.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine first 8 ingredients in a large bowl, mixing well.
- 2Combine the evaporated milk and the heavy cream in a small saucepan.
- 3Heat the milks to the scalding point.
- 4Add scalded milks to the other ingredients, mixing well.
- 5Pour equally into the two UNBAKED pie shells.
- 6Bake 350 degrees for about 1 hour.
- 7Pie is done when a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- 8Top with desired topping.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Opal's Pumpkin Pie
Serving Size: 1 (194 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 512.1
- Calories from Fat 222
- Total Fat 24.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 114.3 mg
- Sodium 491.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 42.6 g
- Protein 7.8 g