Recipe by dae18
An alternative for bread if you are eating low carb and diabetic. I saw this recipe on Diet Doctor, and loved it and wanted to share it.
Top Review by Andrea M.
I have made these a few times and just a quick tip here... it is SOOOOO important that you bake these on parchment paper!!! Not just a nonstick pan, not on a greased pan... on parchment! It also might work on a silpat but I haven't tried yet. I tried a couple times on a greased nonstick pan and it got so stuck it took ages to clean the pan and I obviously didn't get to eat any oopsie bread lol. Psyllium husk can be found at a lot of grocery stores, health food stores and Bulk Barn (for us Cannucks) sells it in bulk. I really think the psyllium helps the texture but I made these so many times before I knew about psyllium and they were still really good. As for texture you are basically making a heavier meringue so that's what you should expect. It is light and airy. Anyways, I hope this comment saves someones cookie sheet! lol
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup cream cheese
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon psyllium husks (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Separate the eggs, with the egg whites in one bowl and the egg yolks in another.
- Whip the egg whites together with the salt until very stiff. You should be able to turn the bowl over without the egg whites moving.
- Mix the egg yolks and the cream cheese well. If you choose, add the psyllium seed husk and baking powder (this makes the Oopsie more bread-like).
- Gently fold the egg whites into the egg yolk mix – try to keep the air in the egg whites.
- Put 6 large or 8 smaller oopsies on a baking tray.
- Bake in the middle of the oven at 150° C (300° F) for about 25 minutes – until they turn golden.
- You can eat Oopsies as bread or use them as a bun for a hotdog or hamburger. You can also put different kinds of seeds on them before baking them, for instance poppy, sesame or sunflower seeds. One big Oopsie can be used for a swiss roll: Add a generous layer of whipped cream and some berries. Enjoy.