Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
by Looneyspoons. -Janet and Greta Podleski
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons canola oil or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup mini chocolate chip
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, blend together brown sugar, whole egg, egg whites, and oil with an electric mixer over medium speed. Add vanilla, almond extract, and sour cream. Beat on low speed until well blended.
- Gradually add flour mixture to sour cream mixture, beating on medium speed. Fold in chocolate chips with a spoon.
- Spray and 8X8 pan with non-stick spray. Spread batter evenly in pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes, until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Be sure to chekc cake after 40 minutes, as you don't want to overbake it. Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 15 minutes. Cut into 12 squares. For maximum moistness, store at room temperature in an air tight container.
Well I was a bit skeptical about a low fat chocolate cake, but I decided to give it a try. The only thing I did was used a dutch processed cocoa powder and increase it to 1/2 cup. I then decreased the flour to 1/2 cup. I also added one whole egg and 2 egg whites. No almond extract. The cake was a HUGE hit at work and they were even happier when they found out it was LOW FAT!!!! We have a winner! Thanks for the post!