Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
A decadent 'European' style cake that I saw on a TV show hosted by Geoff Janz,an Australian chef. Contains mostly almond meal, lots of eggs & dark chocolate. Fudgy on the inside and a crispy outer makes for a truly divine eating experience!Looks impressive for a special occasion.
- Place the chocolate and butter in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high power for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove and stir until smooth.
- Dissolve the coffee powder in the brandy and add to the chocolate mixture.
- Separate the eggs and beat the yolks with the sugar until light and thick.
- Stir the chocolate mixture into the egg yolk mixture then stir through the flour and almond meal.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff, then beat in the remaining 1 tablespoon castor sugar. Continue to beat until firm but not dry.
- Gently fold 1/3 of the whites into the chocolate mixture, then fold in the rest.
- Pour into a lined 22cm cake pan.
- Cake can also be baked in a kugelhopf pan - make sure you liberally butter the pan and dust with a mixture of cocoa, flour & castor sugar (about 1 t of each). baking time about 40 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated 160 degree celcius oven for about 45-55 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the cake comes out clean (leave the cake slightly undercooked for a fudgey centre).
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes before unmoulding onto a wire rack to cool.
- Dust with icing sugar before serving.
- Delicious served slightly warm with vanilla ice-cream or cream and strawberries or cherries.
- Cooled cake can also be covered with whipped fresh cream and decorated with fresh strawberries and mixed berries (the frozen mixed berries work well) and then dusted with icing sugar.
- Chocolate Ganache-250g dark cooking chocolate, chopped & 1/3 cup cream, melt in microwave in 30 second bursts, until chocolate melted, stir till combined & drizzle over cake.
- Note: Preparation time includes baking time.
*Reviewed for PAC October 08* Wonderful cake! This cake is a chocoholics dream! The texture was just as described by Good Looking Cooking .but the taste was divine- rich, decadent, fudgey, mouthwatering were some of the words used to describe this cake. Good clear directions and cooking time was spot on. I used Old Gold Original Chocolate and used Orgran Gluten-free flour blend in place pf the wheat flour. I love cakes that incorporate almonf meal . Who would guess this cake was so easy to make ????? Thanks Good Looking Cooking. Photos also being posted