Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
We eat lots and lots of chicken. I got sick of making the same chicken recipes so I created this. It is pretty healthy and is packed with flavor. Goes perfect on top of rice.
- 4 -6 boneless chicken breasts or 4 lbs whole chickens, cut up
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped white mushroom
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in skillet on medium-high heat. Season chicken breast with 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp ground black pepper. Cook chicken in skillet. Brown all sides then set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat butter and olive oil on medium-low heat. Saute garlic and onion until tender. Add bell pepper, carrots, celery, and mushrooms. Cook about 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour. Add chicken broth, soy sauce, garlic powder, basil, and cayenne pepper. Mix thoroughly. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low.
- Add chicken, cover, and continue cooking for 30 minutes, until chicken juices run clear and gravy has thickened. Salt and pepper to taste.
This is a hidden treasure! I found the recipe when I was participating in PAC Fall 07 (I wasn't the "mommy" though!) and I'm so glad I did! Both Gato and I say HIGH FIVE stars. Thanks so much Beachbunnymom! We'll be making this again and again! (Oh! We did 1 full teaspoon of cayenne cuz we like it HOT!)