Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 mins
This is one of the greatest comfort food sandwiches and one I can make most times I'm craving (like right now) as I nearly always have some frozen meatballs on hand (I use Keftedakia (Greek Meatballs)).
- 1 hoagie roll, toasted lightly and split lengthwise, but not all the way through
- 1⁄4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup shredded provolone cheese
- 5 -6 precooked meatballs (heated through)
- 1⁄2 cup homemade marinara sauce, heated through (or bottled Italian sauce, but homemade MAKES IT!)
- 1 teaspoon grated parmesan cheese
- 1 dash dried oregano
- 1 dash dried basil
- Preheat oven to 350F and lightly toast hoagie roll. (A toaster oven is ideal for this, if you have one).
- Sprinkle both cheeses in the bottom of the hoagie roll, holding back about 1 tablespoonful for the top of the roll.
- Place the meatballs down the centre of the roll and ladle hot marinara sauce on top.
- Sprinkle tablespoonful of reserved shredded cheese and the parmesan cheese over top. Rub some dried oregano and basil between your fingers and sprinkle over top.
- Put meatball sub in an oven-safe dish and return to oven for a couple of minutes to heat through and melt the cheeses. Cool for a minute before tucking in .
- Place a large napkin around your neck, take a step back and take a big bite. Tastes good, yes?
What a great easy sandwich.I had my own sauce; easy to prepare.I served it with fries and added a bit of the sauce to the fries; what a treat.Thanks for posing this one. Rita
I used frozen meatballs from BJ's, the Angus beef ones. They are amazing! I made marinara sauce that made these really special. We all enjoyed them to the last bite! I sprinkled them with lots of cheese then stuck in the oven for a few minutes to crisp up the rolls a little and melt the cheese. The kids and I ate them like there was no tomorrow. Heavenly!
How could you go wrong with this recipe? I used Italian Meatballs for the meatballs and they worked great to make this a tasty Saturday night meal in front of the telly. The only real change I made was to use some red cheddar instead of provolone because I (sadly) can't get provolone in the UK. All the cheese I used were reduced fat varieties and I used wholemeal hoagie rolls. We had them alongside Baked Italian Potato Wedges . Made for the Family Picks portion of ZWT4.