This is one of the greatest comfort food sandwiches and one I can make most times I'm craving (like right now) as I nearly always have some frozen meatballs on hand (I use Keftedakia (Greek Meatballs)).
- 1 hoagie roll, toasted lightly and split lengthwise, but not all the way through
- 1⁄4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup shredded provolone cheese
- 5 -6 precooked meatballs (heated through)
- 1⁄2 cup homemade marinara sauce, heated through (or bottled Italian sauce, but homemade MAKES IT!)
- 1 teaspoon grated parmesan cheese
- 1 dash dried oregano
- 1 dash dried basil
- Preheat oven to 350F and lightly toast hoagie roll. (A toaster oven is ideal for this, if you have one).
- Sprinkle both cheeses in the bottom of the hoagie roll, holding back about 1 tablespoonful for the top of the roll.
- Place the meatballs down the centre of the roll and ladle hot marinara sauce on top.
- Sprinkle tablespoonful of reserved shredded cheese and the parmesan cheese over top. Rub some dried oregano and basil between your fingers and sprinkle over top.
- Put meatball sub in an oven-safe dish and return to oven for a couple of minutes to heat through and melt the cheeses. Cool for a minute before tucking in .
- Place a large napkin around your neck, take a step back and take a big bite. Tastes good, yes?