Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
I like this mac and cheese because the sauce is smooth, gooey and delicious--and it doesn't curdle while baking like some recipes. Make sure you use a big enough pan for baking, otherwise the sauce will ooze onto the floor of your oven! The mozzarella cheese is the key to this recipe--don't leave it out. You can use the noodles from 2 7-ounce boxes of regular macaroni and cheese mix for this recipe, just discard the cheese packets (or try mixing them in).
- Cook macaroni in boiling water for 6 minutes.
- Drain and pour into greased 2-quart baking pan.
- You can use a 9 x 9-inch pan--it will be full.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter over medium heat in heavy pan.
- Whisk in the flour until smooth.
- Gradually whisk in the milk.
- Cook until it thickens a bit.
- Stir in the cheese, cooking until it is melted.
- Mixture will be very"gooey".
- Season to taste.
- Carefully pour cheese sauce over the cooked macaroni.
- (You also can just mix the noodles into the sauce and then transfer back into the pan.) Place cookie sheet under pan in case of"boil-overs".
- Place in 350 degree oven and bake 40 minutes, or until bubbly and top is beginning to brown.
- If you wish, you may cut cheese slices into shapes and place on top after removing from oven.
I made this for bargain basement game. When I added the cheese sauce to the pasta, it looked like way too much, so I cooked up a bit more pasta and that was much better. The taste was good and it was easy to put together. I think the mozz. cheese i used had been frozen previously so that may have affected the smoothness. I will make this again with all fresh cheese.