Recipe by MaMa's Apprentice
I have had so many requests for this recipe so I thought I'd better share. These cookies bake up fat and chewy with just the right amount of crisp! The quick oats give these cookies their incredible texture. And you would never guess there were oats anywhere in these cookies. I make these every Sunday night- a family tradition.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup quick oats
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter and both sugars. (I like to cream them really well so I leave the mixer on while I do the next step.).
- Mix all dry ingredients (flour, oats, baking soda and salt) in a separate small bowl.
- Add 2 eggs, one at a time, to creamed ingredients.
- Add vanilla. Mix well.
- Add dry ingredients a little at a time until it's all well incorprated. (Mixture should be really thick and not real sticky. If too sticky, add extra flour 1 T. at a time until dry enough that you can pick up the dough and roll it without it sticking to your hands.).
- Mix in chocolate chips.
- I roll these into about golf ball sized balls and bake at 350 for 12-13 minutes. Take them out just as they are barely beginning to brown. The key is to not overbake these! Let them cool for 2 minutes on the cookie sheet and then transfer to wire rack.
- Hint: If your cookies spread too much while baking, try putting the dough in the fridge for a while before baking up the next batch. If that doesn't work, add a bit more flour to it.