Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Cucumber water is a great pairing for this refreshing salad. To maximize all parts of the Ontario greenhouse cucumber, add left over ends of cucumbers or slices into a pitcher of ice water. This makes for a thirst quenching beverage.
- 5 lbs seedless watermelon
- 2 cups cucumbers, thinly sliced (500 g)
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, slivered (125 g)
- 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar (170 ml)
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil leaves (45 g)
- 2 tablespoons sugar (30 g)
- fresh basil sprig
- salt and pepper
- Cut watermelon into cubes to make 6 cups.
- In a shallow bowl, gently mix watermelon pieces with cucumber, onion, vinegar, basil leaves and sugar.
- Garnish with basil sprigs. Season to taste with salt and pepper.