Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I really enjoy my soups and this is a favorite veg soup. Just serve with a nice french stick of bread. Delicious. I got the recipe from "The flavours of Canada by Anita Stewart
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 large onion (Chopped )
- 1 garlic clove (Chopped )
- 4 medium potatoes (Cubed )
- 4 medium carrots (Chopped )
- 2 stalks celery (Chopped )
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes (Chopped )
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh basil (Chopped )
- 1 cup French style green bean
- 1 cup peas
- 2 (14 ounce) cans romano beans
- 2 (14 ounce) cans white kidney beans
- 1 cup pasta shells
- 2 tablespoons parsley (Chopped )
- romano cheese (Grated)
- Saute onion in butter for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, potatoes, carrots, and celery.
- Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add stock, tomatoes, salt, pepper, and basil.
- Boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add green beans, peas, both beans and pasta.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add parsley and serve sprinkled with cheese.
This was so yummy! Makes a lot of soup, so I think we will be having it again tomorrow which is fine by me. I used 1 Tbsp canola oil in place of the butter and vegetarian chicken stock (McKays chicken seasoning mixed with water) to cut out a lot of saturated fat and remove the cholesterol. I also only used the equivelent of 1 can of each of the beans, because I wanted it to be more soupy. This turned out so delicious and very healthy! Thanks Marlitt! Made for ZWT4 Zingo - Los Jefes de la Cocina!
First of all, I must say that this soup makes A LOT! Second of all, I must say that it is also very tasty, so A LOT of soup goes quickly! I made this exactly as posted and served it with some toasty garlic bread. I will be making this again!
My husband enjoyed this and didn't comment once about it not having meat! He did say that the veggies were a bit more firm than he prefers so maybe next time I'll let it simmer in the crockpot. I used two fresh heirloom tomatoes instead of the canned tomatoes. I skipped the green beans and peas. Used two cans of Great Northern Beans (and no other varieties, tho I was tempted to throw in one can of black beans). Three cans of chicken broth (so approx 5 1/4 cups), a couple handfuls of ditalini pasta. No cheese. I believe those are the only changes due to what was on hand, or not. Many thanks--came across this recipe in an effort to use a quantity of basil without making pesto.