Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
You can serve the baked apples warm from the oven, or cold, or reheated. They are nice as a side dish along side a pork roast. Try these any time, they are delicious!
- 6 large baking apples
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup good quality maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- With a vegetable peeler, remove the peel from the top third of the apple.
- With a zester/stripper, make a decoration down the sides of the remaining skin on the apples.
- With an apple corer, remove the core of the apple, being careful not to go through the bottom, it should be like a container.
- Place the apples in a baking dish.
- Fill the center of each apple with walnuts, raisins, and maple syrup.
- Put a generous teaspoon of butter on each apple.
- Pour a layer of water in the bottom of the baking dish to about 1/2 inch.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 1/2 hours, basting from time to time with the liquid in the bottom of the pan.
- Add water to the pan to keep it moist.
This was very easy to assemble and just stick in the oven. It also uses ingredients I always have. My apple was on the tart side, so it wasn't very sweet, but I enjoyed the contrast of the maple syrup with the tartness of the apple. So if you want it sweet you need to use a sweeter apple and you might want to sprinkle some brown sugar on it. I also thought it would be good with a bit of cinnamon. My apples were small and it took them one hour to bake and I basted them twice. Thanks for sharing your recipe Dancer!