Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs 15 mins
Onolicious Ground Turkey Chili This is another tasty recipe from our diabetes group. Use organic and low salt whenever possible. We had this with brown rice and tossed greens on the side. The amount of servings will depend on serving size.
- 2 -15 ounces black beans
- 2 -15 ounces kidney beans
- 1 lb ground turkey (or extra-lean ground beef)
- 20 ounces diced tomatoes (Hunts)
- 15 ounces tomato sauce (Hunts)
- 16 ounces tomato sauce, low-salt (2 8oz cans, no-salt if available, Hunts)
- 8 ounces green chili peppers
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup button mushroom, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- Brown the turkey and onions over medium heat. (You can also use extra-lean ground beef).
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Lower heat and simmer 2-3 hours.
- Note: I was out of chili powder, so I substituted with 2-3 tablespoons of Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning (I know, a lot of salt). I also added 1-lb of Italian sausage w/casing removed. Yummm!