I was desperately searching for the rather plain macaroni salad served at Ono Hawaiian BBQ and this one comes close! Apparently, this is a typical macaroni salad from the islands. I've also made it with tuna instead of crab, and edamame (soy beans) instead of peas, and it turned out great!
- 8 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1⁄2 lb imitation crabmeat, chopped
- 9 ounces frozen peas, cooked
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 large hard-boiled eggs, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pickle relish
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 chopped yellow onions (optional) or 2 chopped scallions (optional)
- 3⁄4 quart Best Foods Mayonnaise, as needed
- Boil macaroni to al dente - do not over cook; drain & cool.
- Add all other ingredients to cooled macaroni then add the mayo. The macaroni will absorb the mayo, so you may want to make your salad a day ahead to let the flavors combine. You might also want to add more mayo just before serving. Enjoy!
I was born and raised in Hawaii, So i literally grew up eating some really Ono mac salads, I just came across this recipe yesterday and made it last night, WOW it's a keeper!! it's surely up and up with my Kupuna Wahine's mac salad.This Mac salad will for surely make it to the next luau kani ka pila.. thanks of sharing Sandi from Cali... Aloha ha'aheo from Hawaii...
Made this for a work lunch potluck. Left out the onion because some don't like it. I thought the relish amount was a typo, also, and used 1 tablespoon. Tasted cool and refreshing. A big hit with everyone. Thanks for sharing this recipe.
I made this for the first time with the relish and the mayo as per the receipe. Oh my goodness, everyone loved it, and we ate it every day all week since I doubled the receipe! This is one recipe I will use over and over again. Thanks.