Recipe by chieming
It's "only bran" because there's no flour in the recipe. My BF was following a diet by a French nutritionist Docteur Pierre Dukan, and the only carb he could eat was bran, so using other bran muffin recipes as inspiration, I finally settled on this one. I have surprisingly received compliments from other dinner guests (even during my experimentation phase), so I thought I'd post my finalized recipe.
- 1 cup oat bran
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 1 teaspoon baking soda or 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Oil muffin pan. I usually spray each cup with a little bit of basil olive oil.
- Mix oat and wheat bran with baking soda/powder. Add salt or herbs to taste for savory muffins.
- In a separate bowl, mix yogurt and egg. Add an egg white for more moist muffins. Beat together well.
- Blend the yogurt mixture into bran mixture.
- Spoon into muffin pan.
- Bake for 10 to 20 minutes, depending on the size of each muffin. Overbaking can result in dry muffins (which aren't necessarily bad).
- Notes: I've added chopped onions and bell peppers, or baked them as a single loaf. Many variations have turned out well. Next time, I'll try a sweet version with orange peel and vanilla extract.