Ultra comfort food! I am a vegetarian, so I make this for my husband and he practically licks the plate! Perfect for one generous serving or two regular portions, and extremely simple.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 -12 ounces ground beef (any kind, but a slightly higher fat content yields a richer gravy)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
- 2 1/2 cups hot water
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons water
- mashed potatoes or noodles, on side, if desired
- 1Heat a 9-10 inch frying pan (medium size) over moderately high heat.
- 2Form the ground beef into two patties.
- 3When pan is hot, sprinkle the salt and pepper in the pan, and place the meat in the pan. Quickly brown the meat on both sides.
- 4While the meat is browning, combine the hot water and the soup mix.
- 5When meat is brown on both sides, turn heat to high, and pour in soup and water mix, scraping the pan to free any bit that may have stuck to the pan.
- 6Add the thyme and Worcestershire sauce if using, let the liquid come to a boil, then cover and lower heat to medium. Simmer for about five minutes, covered.
- 7While meat is simmering, combine flour and water very thoroughly, until it is completely liquid - this can be done by shaking them together in a jar.
- 8When meat is done, remove from pan and set aside, keeping warm.
- 9Slowly whisk in the flour and water mixture to desired thickness - you may not need all of it - and simmer gravy for two minutes on moderate heat, where it will thicken a bit further.
- 10Pour gravy over patties to serve, and accompany with mashed potatoes, rice or noodles for that delicious gravy!
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oniony Chopped Steak
Serving Size: 1 (559 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 647.6
- Calories from Fat 320
- Total Fat 35.5 g
- Saturated Fat 13.2 g
- Cholesterol 154.0 mg
- Sodium 4169.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 45.9 g