Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
The way the French cook their onions!
- 3-4 dozen white pearl onions, peeled
- 354.88 ml dry white wine
- 14.79 ml vinegar
- 4.92 ml salt
- 3 lemon slices
- 29.58 ml tomato paste
- 283.90 ml sultana raisins
- 59.14 ml white raisins
- Put onions in skillet with wine, vinegar, salt, pepper, and lemon slices.
- Simmer until onions are just tender but still crisp in the center.
- Stir in tomato paste and raisins and cook for several minutes.
- Remove the onions to a dish.
- Let the juices cook down with the raisins until the liquid is almost a glaze.
- Pour over the onions and chill.
- Serve as an hors-d'oeuvre or with cold meat.
- Makes 8 to 12 servings.
This was very interesting! First I plunged my pearl onions in boiling water for 1 minute then into cold to make peeling easier. I used chili sauce which is made from paste and spices in place of the tomato paste. I simmered the onions for 20-30 minutes. This is full of flavor. Sweet & Tangy! Thanks Sharon!