1/4 Photos of Onions in Red Sauce for Hot Dogs
Chopped onions on a hot dog are good but this onion sauce a traditional topping for a New York hot dog is better.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 large sweet onions (peeled and sliced or diced)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, crushed (adjust for heat, I option for it!) (optional)
- 1 tablespoon paprika (Smoked paprika is a nice treat!I use 1/2 smoked and 1/2 sweet)
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1Sauté garlic and onions in olive oil.
- 2When onions are tender add ketchup, choice of cayenne or pepper flakes and paprika.
- 3Simmer over a low heat for about 15 minutes.
- 4Add vinegar and simmer 30-45 minutes.
- 5Add salt to taste.
- 6Serve over grilled hot dogs in steamed buns.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Onions in Red Sauce for Hot Dogs
Serving Size: 1 (42 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 35.9
- Calories from Fat 17
- Total Fat 1.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 61.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 0.5 g