Chopped onions on a hot dog are good but this onion sauce a traditional topping for a New York hot dog is better.
- 3 large sweet onions (peeled and sliced or diced)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, crushed (adjust for heat, I option for it!) (optional)
- 1 tablespoon paprika (Smoked paprika is a nice treat!I use 1/2 smoked and 1/2 sweet)
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- Sauté garlic and onions in olive oil.
- When onions are tender add ketchup, choice of cayenne or pepper flakes and paprika.
- Simmer over a low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Add vinegar and simmer 30-45 minutes.
- Add salt to taste.
- Serve over grilled hot dogs in steamed buns.