Recipe by Gidget
Makes a posh vegetable side-dish. This recipe originally came from a really old Readers Digest cookbook but I've tweaked it a little (as you do).
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons olive oil
- 375 g white pearl onions, peeled
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup stock (chicken, beef or veggie)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons raisins
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated orange rind (optional)
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh basil or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan heat the oil, add the onions, over moderate heat cook uncovered for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the garlic, wine, stock, tomato paste, raisins, orange rind, basil, thyme and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer and cook uncovered for about 20 minutes or until onions are tender, stir frequently.
- Raise the heat to high and cook, stirring until the sauce has thickened (about 3 minutes).
- This can be made made several days ahead (refrigerate) and reheated at serving time.