Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Clipped from allrecipes.com.
- 6 medium yellow onions, with peel
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Slice about 1/4 inch off of the tops and bottoms of the onions. Cut in half crosswise leaving the skin on, and arrange cut side up in a shallow baking dish. Pour the chicken stock over and around the onion halves, then drizzle with olive oil. Season liberally with salt, pepper and rosemary. Place on top of a cookie sheet to catch any splatters that may occur.
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour in the preheated oven, or until onion is easily pierced with a knife and liquid has reduced by 1/2. Remove the dish from the oven, and pour the cream over the onions. Return to the oven, and continue to bake uncovered until the pan juices have thickened slightly and onions are browned, up to 30 minutes.
These are beyond amazing. The flavor is phenomenal with so incredibly little effort. These are completely dinner-party worthy and a must make recipe for anyone who loves onions.
This is a gourmet worthy recipe but without all the time consuming effort! I would recommend using a very large cooking sheet to prepare this dish. And try to use freshly ground pepper for better flavor. Great holiday side dish.
I have made these onions before, I make this using sweet onions though, they are so delicious, great recipe Sandi! Thanks for sharing...Kitten:)