Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
If you like onions, great side dish! Low-carb magic
Make and share this Onions Baked in Their Papers recipe from Food.com.
- 4 medium yellow onions (about 2 1/2 inches in diameter)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons mixed herbs, crushed (such as dried thyme, sage and tarragon leaves)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes or 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb
- fresh tarragon sprig
- yellow squash, cut into strips
- red bell pepper, cut into strips
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line square baking pan with aluminum foil, set aside.
- Slice off stem and root ends of onions.
- Cut 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 inch cone shaped indentation in the top of each onion with paring knife.
- Set onions in prepared pan on root ends.
- Stir herbs, sugar, salt and red pepper into melted butter.
- Add bred crumbs, mix until blended.
- Spoon equal amounts of crumb mixture into indentations.
- Bake about 1 hour or until fork tender.
- Garnish, as suggested, if desired.
- Serve immediately.
Just love this recipe. I used 1 large Vidalia onion cutting the rest of the ingredients back. I made the mistake of not making the whole(cone) big enough to fill with the filling goodness. I also skipped the sugar and no garnish just couldn`t wait to bite into this sweet onion that was still slightly crunchy but well cooked. Thanks for the goodness!