Recipe by TPubmgjbd
The Vidalia onions will soon be in season in the South and always prepare this recipe using them. Any onion will work but I especially love the sweet Vidalia.
Top Review by MrsK
Sorry, but we didn't think it was especially good. Onions came out too soft and there was too much liquid--although I used much less. Maybe adding some fresh sliced mushrooms might help?
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1 beef bouillon cubes or 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried whole thyme
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (1 ounce)
Directions See How It's Made
- Arrange onion sliced in a 10x6x2-inch baking dish.
- Combine boiling water, bouillon, thyme, salt and pepper; stir until bouillon dissolves.
- Pour over onions; dot with 1 Tablespoon butter; cover.
- Bake, covered, at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Combine bread crumbs and melted butter, stirring well; stir in cheese.
- Sprinkle over onions.
- Bake, uncovered, for 10 minutes longer or until golden brown.