- 25 small onions, peeled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup port wine
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar or 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the onions in a heavy saucepan with the olive oil over moderately-high heat.
- As soon as the onions start to brown, add the port, vinegar, brown sugar raisins and salt and cayenne pepper to taste.
- Simmer slowly until the onions are quite soft and the sauce has turned to a thick syrup.
- Serve at room temperature with roast or grilled meats.