Recipe by JustJanS
I love onions as a feature vegetable and plan to serve these for Christmas dinner. You need to shake the pan often as they cook because the sugar, fruit and port in there is liable to male them catch.
- 24 button onions, peeled, but leave a little root intact
- 45 ml olive oil
- 75 ml port wine
- 75 ml red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soft brown sugar
- 25 g raisins
- cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the olive oil in a heavy based pan over a low heat; allow to warm.
- Place the onions in the pan and cook, shaking the pan until the onions are browned on all sides.
- Add the port and vinegar and bring to the boil.
- As soon as boiling point is reached, stir in the brown sugar, raisins, salt and cayenne to taste.
- Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the onions are tender and the liquid has reduced to a thick syrup. Serve the onions with the syrup spooned over.