Recipe by Doreen Randal
Delicious with grilled meat, chops, steak, sausages etc. Great for barbecues.
- 1 (400 g) can tomatoes, drained
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- to taste bouquet garni
- 1 sprig basil
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 kg onion
- 100 g sultanas
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 bouquet garni
- 2 -3 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all sauce ingredients and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes or until tender and pulpy.
- Rub through a sieve with a wooden spoon to get out as much liquid as possible. Peel onions and put in a heavy-based sauce pan.
- Add the sauce and remaining ingredients and just enough water to cover the onions.
- Bring to the boil, stirring.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 1 hour or until the onions are tender.
- Remove the bouquet garni.
- Season to taste adding a little sugar to counteract the acidity.
- You can serve this hot, but it is better to let it cool, that lets the flavour come through.