Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
A recipe from the former First Lady, Nancy Reagan.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 5 large onions, chopped
- 5 cups beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup celery leaves
- 1 large potato, sliced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup light cream
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- salt and pepper
- Melt butter in large saucepan.
- Add chopped onions and mix well.
- Add beef broth, celery leaves and potato.
- Bring to boiling.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Puree mixture in a blender.
- Return to saucepan and blend in wine, vinegar and sugar.
- Bring to boiling and simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in cream, parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat thoroughly but do not boil.
This soup is very easy to make and also quite a pretty looking onion soup. However the taste was just lacking something. I suspect the vinegar had something to do with it not appealing to my tastebuds the way a good creamy onion soup usually does. Some people will enjoy this but our family just went through the motions.