Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Onion-Walnut Muffins. Recipe Courtesy of Chef Waldy Malouf of Beacon Restaurant, New York City.
- 1 large onion ((or more if needed to make 1 cup puree)
- 1⁄2 cup melted unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 extra large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups california walnuts, chopped coarse
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and spray muffin tins with non-stick spray.
- Peel onion, cut in quarters and puree fine in food processor. Measure puree and increase or decrease the amount to make 1 cup. Beat together butter, eggs and sugar and add pureed onions. Stir in remaining ingredients in the order given and mix batter thoroughly. Fill muffin tins almost full. Bake muffins 20 minutes or until they are puffed and well browned.