Recipe by evelyn/athens
A wonderful savoury tart to enjoy with soup and salad.
Top Review by Latchy
I must admit I cheated a bit with this recipe I bought rolled short crust pastry for the base but followed the directions for cooking it. This is very tasty but think I would dot some blue vein cheese or tasty cheese next time I did it. Thanks evelyn.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cold butter, cut into bits
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable shortening, cut into bits
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 ounces sliced bacon, chopped
- 2 lbs onions, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup cream
- 4 large eggs, beaten lightly
Directions See How It's Made
- Make pastry shell: Blend flour, butter, shortening and salt until mixture resembles coarse meal; stir in 1/3 cup ice water and form dough into a ball.
- Flatten ball slightly, dust with flour and chill it, wrapped in plastic wrap, for 30 minutes.
- Roll our 1/8 inch thick on a lightly-floured work surface.
- Fit into an 11 inch tart pan with a removable rim and trim the edge.
- Prick shell all over with a fork and chill for 30 minutes.
- Line with foil and fill with pie weights or dry beans.
- Bake shell on a baking sheet in the lower-third of preheated 400F oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove beans and foil and bake 5 minutes longer.
- Remove from oven.
- Maintain oven temperature.
- For filling: Cook bacon over moderate heat, stirring, until golden and transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Pour off fat and cook onions in butter with salt and pepper over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until they are soft.
- Add flour and cook mixture, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Stir in cream and bacon, bring just to simmer, remove from heat and cool 10 minutes.
- Add eggs in a stream, stirring quickly so they dont curdle, and season with nutmeg and salt and pepper.
- Pour into prepared pastry shell and bake on baking sheet for 35-40 minutes, or until top is golden-brown.