1/2 Photos of Onion Tart
1 hr 35 mins
This onion tart is always a success, as an appetizer, lunch or part of a buffet. I also make it for us as a main-course and serve it with a salad. What I really like about it is the cheese in the pastry. Serve it warm or cold, both is nice but you might have a preference. I found this recipe in 1978 and it is from Delia Smith.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 ounces self-raising flour
- 2 ounces whole wheat flour
- little salt
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 ounces butter or 2 ounces margarine
- 1 1/2 ounces grated cheddar cheese
- 1Sift the flours, salt; mustard powder and cayenne into a bowl, and then rub in the margarine until you get a crumbly mixture.
- 2Stir in the cheese and add enough cold water to make dough that leaves the bowl clean.
- 3Wrap the dough in plastic and put in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- 4Melt the butter in a heavy based frying pan, add the onions, get them coated in the butter, cook them uncovered on a medium heat for approx 30 minutes, they have to be reduced and turned a deep brown.
- 5Stir from time to time, if they are still pale at the end of the cooking time, turn up the heat and cook for another 10 minutes until they have the right color.
- 6Preheat oven to 350F and put a baking sheet in the oven.
- 7Grease an 8 inch fluted flan tin, roll out the pastry and line the tin, prick the base with a fork, place the tin on the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- 8Remove from the oven and brush with some beaten egg (from the filling) return to the oven for 5 minutes.
- 9Then spread the onions all over the base of the flan, mix the eggs with the milk, salt and pepper, and pour as much as possible over the onions, you might have some left it depends on how much the onions have reduced.
- 10Sprinkle the cheese over the top and bake for 30 minutes (on the baking sheet again) or until the filling is golden brown and puffy.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Onion Tart
Serving Size: 1 (193 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 437.3
- Calories from Fat 235
- Total Fat 26.1 g
- Saturated Fat 15.4 g
- Cholesterol 170.4 mg
- Sodium 445.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 12.8 g